Amy is a website designer and marketing wizard. And she’s here to un-complicate the tech side of your business. Amy sees so many entrepreneurs getting bogged down NOT focusing on their zone of genius. They waste precious time worrying about problems, that aren't necessary for them to be fixing personally.
That's where Hirschi Creative thrives. They love taking tasks that aren't yours to be doing, and running them efficiently, and effectively through web design and technical solutions.
Amy has worked on creative teams and in the marketing field for over six years, and has been an entrepreneur since I was 15. So trust Amy, SHE KNOWS what you go through on a daily basis while running your business. She knows the highs and lows. The happy dances and sad faces. Amy is just here to make the happier times better, and the harder times less frequent. Amy and her little family live in Northern Utah and love Harry Potter, golfing, backyard s'more's, and watching TV comedies.
- If we were meeting for the first time, how would you describe what it is you do?
I'm a web designer helping employ and empower women through education and fun and functional websites!! I built a marketing team to help businesses with their everyday tasks that they don't have time to do once their website is ready to attract their dream clients.
- How long have you been doing it?
I've been a web designer for about 5 years, and in marketing for about 7.
- On your "About" page you say you were 15 when you had your 1st business, what was it?
I started teaching swimming lessons in my backyard! It was awesome. I trained as a lifeguard at my local pool, then handed out flyers to my neighborhood and went to the elementary school and left them for teachers as well! I filled up enough spots that by the first day, I had to double my class size! It was an awesome job and experience. I was made for entrepreneurship, haha!
- Your website, Holy Mama is it so Gorgeous + Fun!! What has been your favorite project so far + why?Thank you so much!!! This is seriously SUCH a hard question.. As much as I love every single client project we work on, one of my favorite projects was for sure releasing my own templates. Game. Changer!!! It's allowed us to not only sell the templates, but my team and I also can do semi-custom websites which gives a really good price point for a lot of our clients. So we really have a package that fits everyone, that wouldn't be possible without templates. It's helped us serve a lot more people in a better way.
- If you could go back in time, what would be something you’d change from when you were starting out? Or what advice would you give your younger self?
Oh, man. Stop comparing. YES, her work is straight-up fire gorgeous. BUT it's not your style, and you don't have to compete with her! Just do what you're good at and the right clients will find you, and you'll find them!
- What were the hardest aspects of starting your own business & how did you overcome them?
I had a lot of mindset issues when I first started this journey full time. That I wasn't good enough, that I didn't know enough, that I couldn't make money doing this, or a full-time income working part-time. That I didn't have time or that I couldn't create my dream life! Mostly books helped, and I worked with Teila Marie Co, who's a brand identity coach. And then I created a vision board and read the dreams I had on them to myself each morning! And just felt love and gratitude while I did that.
- Where do you find support for your dream and how do you keep your creativity alive?
My team is such a huge part of what I do and why I do it. I'm so grateful for each of them, I absolutely live for our motto "employ and empower". This applies to me as well. I'm very self-motivated! And of course my family!
- What is your favorite part of being a female entrepreneur?
That I can have it all. I've stopped questioning what is in my grasp, the truth is, what I want is totally available to me. I love that I get to be with my kid a lot and that I work at home. Like my favorite Liz Lemon says, "I CAN HAVE IT ALL!!"
- What is one office|business must have? A program or tool that was life-changing when you discovered it?
Asana! That keeps us on task both as a team and with clients. Clients can see where we're at with our projects and then I can just assign it to who needs to get it done with a due date, it keeps us accountable and moving forward. Plus, I make sure I don't over-schedule myself on some days.
- What advice do you have for women who are still struggling to find their style/niche?
Go with what feels natural to you. And don't feel like you have to follow each trend, follow it if YOU like it! The right clients will come, you are your dream client. Just be confident that you can do it and get constructive criticism if you need it!
- On your path to your current business, did you ever come across a moment where you doubted yourself? I think it’s human to sometimes lose all faith in ourselves and our ability to create. What would you tell someone who may be in this spot right now? Someone who wants to give up.
OMG yes of course. I started my first branding company, Waverley Design Co. in late 2015. I just wasn't ready to be an entrepreneur. By March of 2017, I was in debt and took a full-time job because I just completely lost faith in myself and my skillset. Just know that all the hard times, are teaching you something. Learn to take a break if you need it, but don't give up. So much of my passion and knowledge came from that hard year.
- Who do you look up to?
I definitely look up to Morgan Rapp a lot. I took her Amplify Shopify course and joined Design Biz Mastery! She started a hashtag, #normalizewomenmakingmoney and I'm all for it. She has a few courses and I'd like to be able to educate a lot of women the way she does. Her course also helped me work through a lot of mindset stuff too, and she's just smart with her business and time! Plus she has four kids, she's awesome!
-What is one workshop or conference/expo you’ve attended that inspired you so much, you would attend again?!
I'm in Shannon Lutz' with The Social Bungalow Live Launch Academy right now, and she is SO through with everything she does, I can't say enough good things about this course and the others I've taken from her.
⁃Have you read any books or listened to a podcast you feel would be beneficial for Female Entrepreneurs that you want to share?
Books I loved: You are a badass at Making Money, The Big Leap, Building a Story Brand, Start with Why, Present over Perfect. And I seem to always enjoy Jenna Kutcher's podcast. But I would advise you not to learn all day. Listen to something fun and not work-related! You don't have to pack your mind with information 24/7.
⁃What is your go-to tool of your trade that you couldn’t live without?
The adobe suite for sure! But in the last year, I've started building website mockups with adobe xd and it's the shiz! Clients can comment on things they want to be changed and give good feedback without me building out the site first.
⁃Who is your biggest supporter?
My husband 100%, he loves that I follow all my dreams and crazy ideas and that I'm so passionate about what I do. He's the best. But my family is also way supportive, 3/4 of my siblings are entrepreneurs, and my parents have owned businesses and they always ask how business is going and I know they know what I'm going through plus I want to impress them and keep up too! They're all so proud, that makes me so happy as the baby of the family, haha! Just the other day my mom sent me a little note in the mail telling me how awesome of a job I'm doing. I bawled like a little baby haha!
- What is your favorite thing to do during your free time?
I love going to High fitness or swimming when I feel up to exercising! My hubby and I love binge-watching comedies like Brooklyn 99 and Parks and Rec. I truly do love my work though, haha it's very hard for me to take time off, sometimes even if I have free time I'll choose to work!
-What is one tip you have for women who are struggling to grow on social media?
Just be yourself and know who you're talking to! Don't worry so much about the algorithm or your aesthetic. Just do what feels good to you and show up consistently! Give as much as you expect others to give to you. Always serve your audience!
-What do you feel is the most beneficial tool you offer for female entrepreneurs?
We pride ourselves on our websites really matching our client's personalities and brands. Whether you buy a template or we build a custom site for you, we can hit your price point and can get you what you need! All of our websites can be updated by you and are completely mobile-friendly! We can help you whether your need is big or small in un-complicating the tech side of your business!
WE’RE TAKING THIS BACK TO COSMO GIRL QUIZ STYLE!
1. IF YOU COULD EAT ONE FOOD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IT WOULD BE: Mashed potatoes and gravy
2. THE BEST TITLE I HAVE IS:
b. Harry Potter Fan
e. All of the Above
3. IF YOU COULD MEET ONE PERSON DEAD OR ALIVE IT WOULD BE:
4. MOST LIKELY TO BINGE WATCH:
a. Reality Tv
5. MY DRINK OF CHOICE IS:
6. ON MY DAYS OFF, THE FIRST THING I DO IS:
a. Go to the gym / clean the house
b. Sleep in
c. Bottomless mimosas at brunch
d. Check all social media
e. I try to do them all
7. MY GO-TO OUTFIT IS:
a. Yoga pants and a hoodie
b. Jeans and a tee
c. A dress & heels
8. SOMEDAY I WANT TO: Buy a house with cash
9. I AM DEATHLY AFRAID OF:
a. Public Speaking
e. Other: Any scary movie, haha
10. I LOVE LISTENING TO:
b. Country Music
d. Gangster Rap
e. Other: all of the above