- If we were meeting for the first time, how would you describe what it is you do?
I'm a vagina content creator? A female body health influencer? An educator about vaginas? I actually never know how to answer this in one statement.
- How long have you been doing it?
I've been working in female health for a long time, but The Vagina Blog has been around for 3 years.
- I’m giggling trying to word this correctly, How did the Vagina blog come to be?
I started in Emergency Medicine, which led to working for a Certified Nurse Midwife as her assistant, also as a doula and birth photographer, along with also being a period enthusiast. I've also worked with many sex educators and sex therapists and I was the women's health expert for a few Mom Blogs. It's a long story, but when I retired from birth work, all of the information I had acquired had to go somewhere! So The Vagina Blog was born.
- What has been your favorite project so far + why?
My podcast. If I had all the time and energy for it I would spend so much more time podcasting! I love the conversations.
- If you could go back in time, what would be something you’d change from when you were starting out? Or what advice would you give your younger self?
Burn out is so real and really ok. I finally took a month off last year and it was the best thing for me to catch up and get a break from posting!
- What were the hardest aspects of starting your own business & how did you overcome them?
Imposter syndrome and getting past all of the shame people try to put on me for what I do.
- Where do you find support for your dream and how do you keep your creativity alive?
My husband has always been a huge support along with the incredible messages I get from people that The Vagina Blog has helped. I keep the creativity alive by letting the lulls happen.
- What is your favorite part of being a female entrepreneur?
The money? Just kidding. I'm supposed to say the fulfillment, right? It's honestly both.
- What is one office|business must-have? A program or tool that was life changing when you discovered it?
Google Keep (I think apple people typically use notes?)! I love being able to talk to my phone and have it write everything down for me. It seems simple, but it changed my life! I can store links and things in there and easily switch between my phone and my computer.
- What advice do you have for women who are still struggling to find their style/niche?
You're going to get bored with anything you choose. You just will, so don't over think it and know that one day you'll be over it and have to push through the boredom, no matter how much you love it.
- On your path to your current business, did you ever come across a moment where you doubted yourself? I think it’s human to sometimes lose all faith in ourselves and our ability to create. What would you tell someone who may be in this spot right now?
Someone who wants to give up. Embrace it. Give up. Rest. If it's really meant to be, the creativity will come back around. It's ok to rest!
- Who do you look up to?
Sarah Landry of The Birds Papaya. I don't know how she keeps up on it all day, and the level of vulnerability she's willing to share is incredible.
- What is one workshop or conference/expo you’ve attended that inspired you so much, you would attend again?!
I love Alt Summit. I plan on going for the rest of my life, especially if it continues to take place in Palm Springs!
⁃ Have you read any books or listened to a podcast you feel would be beneficial for Female Entrepreneurs that you want to share?
Atomic Habits is an amazing book I highly recommend and The Feminist Survival Podcast is a must-listen
⁃ What is you go to tool of your trade that you couldn’t live without?
My phone? And my large arsenal of menstrual cups and sex toys.
⁃ Who is your biggest supporter?
My husband and a few close friends
- What is your favorite thing to do during your free time?
Get some sunshine - hiking, sitting outside, napping in my hammock, anything in the sun
- We love seeing how your kids interact with you on your social media!! How do you balance motherhood and work?
Lots of boundaries, I limit them on my feed quite a bit and set limits on myself for putting my phone to bed and setting it down when they're talking to me.
WE’RE TAKING THIS BACK TO COSMO GIRL QUIZ STYLE!
1. IF YOU COULD EAT ONE FOOD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IT WOULD BE: Someone else making me fancy salads because they taste better when you don't have to make them yourself!!
2. THE BEST TITLE I HAVE IS:
e. All of the Above
3. IF YOU COULD MEET ONE PERSON DEAD OR ALIVE IT WOULD BE: The list is too long!!
4. MOST LIKELY TO BINGE WATCH:
a. Reality Tv
5. MY DRINK OF CHOICE IS:
7. ON MY DAYS OFF, THE FIRST THING I DO IS:
a. Go to the gym / clean the house
b. Sleep in
c. Bottomless mimosas at brunch
d. Check all social media
e. I try to do them all
7. MY GO-TO OUTFIT IS:
a. Yoga pants and a hoodie
b. Jeans and a tee
c. A dress & heels
8. SOMEDAY I WANT TO: Write a book!
9. I AM DEATHLY AFRAID OF:
a. Public Speaking
e. Other: anyone I love dying
10. I LOVE LISTENING TO:
b. Country Music
d. Gangster Rap
e. Other: all of the above