Meet Maddie (aka The Buzzing Blonde)!
Oreo lover. Kardashian follower. Social media obsessed.
Maddie started The Buzzing Blonde while working full-time as a graphic designer at Adidas. She loved that job, but she knew her skills – and heart – were made for helping creatives, small businesses, and online boutiques.
Her mission is to help creative business owners and entrepreneurs learn how to use the power of social media to grow their following, connect with their dream customers, and make more money.
Local to Indy? Grab a marg (or coffee!) with Maddie and chat about how she can help you turn your overwhelming social media accounts into money-making, buzz-worthy assets.
- How do you Describe what you do?
You mean besides just posting pretty pictures on Instagram? Lol I help creative business owners build a strategic and aesthetic AF social media presence that attracts dream clients. increases sales, and grows their audience.
- How long have you been at it?
I started The Buzzing Blonde in 2018, went full time in 2020, but I have been helping small businesses with their social media since I was in high school (back in 2010).
- What has been your favorite project and why?
One of my favorite projects was creating The Marketing Hive, my social media membership. Never in a million years would I have imagined starting a social media membership the same year I went full time as The Buzzing Blonde/ a pandemic was happening. The membership has allowed me to help businesses I never would have been able to help had I never started The Marketing Hive.
- If you could go back, what would be something you’d change from when starting out? Or what advice would you give your younger self?
I don't think I would change a thing. Every failure, loss, or struggle has been a lesson learned. Advice I would give my younger self would be: Comparison will rob you of your happiness. Stop playing the comparison game.
- What were the hardest aspects of starting your own business & how did you overcome them?
Being your own boss. I was one who always sought approval from my bosses and I am still one who likes a good pat on the back, so how does one do that for one self? You celebrate your victories (both big and small).
- Where do you find support for your dream and how do you keep your creativity alive?
I find support in my family and friends and of course my online community. I keep creativity alive by
- What is your favorite part of being a female entrepreneur?
Making my own schedule. Being able to go get a mani/pedi on a lunch break if I want to without feeling guilty.
- What is one office must have? A program or tool that just makes life better?
Later (or any scheduling app, just pick one!)
- What advice do you have for women who are still struggling to find their style/niche?
Pay attention to what sets your soul on fire because that will be what your style/niche is.
- On your path to your current business, did you ever come across a moment where you doubted yourself? Sometimes we hit a bump in the road and we lose all faith in ourselves and our ability to create. What would you tell someone who may be in this spot right now?
Oh yes, more than once. You are talking to the girl who has been fired more than once in her life. Getting fired is definitely one of those things that make you question not only your ability but your worth (or at least it did for me). If someone reading this is in this same situation I would tell them this is only going to make their success story that much more interesting. Being fired does not define your ability or worth!
- What boss babe do you look up to?
My mom and sister
- What is one workshop or conference/expo you've attended that you would attend again?
I haven't attended any yet. I had every intention of attending a few in 2020 and then COVID hit (lol). I hope to attend Create & Cultivate one day!
- Have you read any books or listened to any podcasts you feel are beneficial to the female entrepreneurs that you want to share?
I think every entrepreneur (both male and female) should read "That Will Never Work" by Marc Randolph and "Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike" by Phil Knight.
- What is your go to tool of your trade that you couldn't live without?
Mojo! It makes your Instagram Stories so pretty and aesthetically pleasing
- Who is your biggest supporter?
My fiance, Brennan
1. IF YOU COULD EAT ONE FOOD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IT WOULD BE: Mcdonald's French Fries or Double Stuffed Oreos
2. THE BEST TITLE I HAVE IS:
d. Lady Boss
e. All of the Above
3. IF YOU COULD MEET ONE PERSON DEAD OR ALIVE IT WOULD BE: Whitney Wolfe Herd (Founder & CEO of Bumble)
4. MOST LIKELY TO BINGE WATCH:
a. Reality TV
5. MY DRINK OF CHOICE IS:
e. Other: Spicy Margaritas
7. ON MY DAYS OFF, THE FIRST THING I DO IS:
a. Go to the gym / clean the house
b. Sleep in
c. Bottomless mimosas at brunch
d. Check all social media
e. I try to do them all
7. MY GO-TO OUTFIT IS:
a. Yoga pants and a hoodie
b. Jeans and a tee
c. Anything from H&M
d. A dress & heels
e. Other: _____________
8. SOMEDAY I WANT TO: own a condo in Maui
9. I AM DEATHLY AFRAID OF:
a. Public Speaking
e. Other: _______
10. I LOVE LISTENING TO:
b. Country Music
d. Gangster Rap
e. Other: all of the above